Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Just watched "Man on a Wire"

9/30/13- “Man on Wire” (2008) directed by James Marsh
Featuring: Philippe PetitWhen this movie first started I was very confused because they was no real introduction, it was just non-diegetic sound (audio you could hear but not see) you could hear the heavy French accent of Philippe Petit with just a shot of someone fidgeting with a box. A few people amongst the class looked to me to figure out what was going on I shrugged with a look of slight confusion until I goggled (because no need to wait to see what would happen)  when I read the first line of the Wikipedia page about the movie my jaw dropped in utter shock. “Philippe Petit the man who crossed a high wire between the two twin towers!” This film was a suspense builder, when Philippe and his men were hiding on the 82nd floor of the North tower hiding from security guards who would roam the buildings at nigh to check for un-usual activity (the security guards obviously didn’t check very often).  I felt that me myself had to hold my breath in fear of blowing these high wire dare devils in, because once you watch this film unfold you want these French sirs effort to be put to go use to accomplish this undercover operation , that will eventually astound the public and Philippe’s team themselves. Well not only was the mission a success to cross the wire once between the towers he exceeded his own standers by crossing the wire eight times to tease the police officers at the top of the South  tower  trying to catch him to inevitably arrest him. Now he was a smart aleck so he ran back out into the middle and began bouncing up and down. His feet were actually leaving the wire, and then he would resettle back on the wire again....Unbelievable really” (Sgt. Charles Daniels reporting his experience). Finally, when asked why he did the stunt, Petit would say, "When I see three oranges, I juggle; when I see two towers, I walk." I highly suggest this movie if you like high suspense and can tolerate subtitles because when the interviews with his helpers comes they basically only speak french which is another thing I loved because I love accents) but this to me was a feel good movie because you get to see someone accomplish a dream of theirs and just seeing that hard work does pay off. I absolutely adored this movie I was fully engulfed in this film from start to end.
 "Life should be lived on the edge of life. You have to exercise rebellion: to refuse to tape yourself to rules, to refuse your own success, to refuse to repeat yourself, to see every day, every year, every idea as a true challenge - and then you are going to live your life on a tightrope." 

No comments:

Post a Comment